These are the official rules that will govern how the Ultimate Typing Championship (the "Contest") will operate. Metadot Corporation, a Texas corporation ("Sponsor") is the sponsor of the Contest. Sponsor’s contact information is as follows: Metadot Corporation - Das Keyboard, 9020 North Capital of Texas Highway, Great Hills Corporate Center One, Suite 365, Austin, Texas 78759, Facsimile number +1-512-233-5335, E-mail address email@example.com.
THE CONTEST: The Contest is a skill-based typing contest, in which eligible participants
(each a "Participant" and collectively, the "Participants") will compete
by taking an online typing contest using an online typing website, TyprX.com, developed for the Contest as
well as for typing practice purposes and provided by Sponsor, which tests a Participant's speed and accuracy
by calculating the word-per-minute typing speed ("WPM") as he or she types through a certain
paragraph of text on a standard computer keyboard. Once the test is completed, the website will calculate
and indicate to the Participant what his or her typing WPM is and how that speed performs against other
Participants who have already taken the test. The goal of the Contest is to identify and reward the fastest
typist among all Participants, as calculated by the website. WPM scores will be based only on correctly
The Contest has been held once before in 2010. There is no way to accurately estimate the number of participants in the Contest or the odds of winning the Contest or of being awarded any of the prizes specified below. The prizes specified below are not dependent upon the number of entries received, and chance plays no part in the determination of the winner of the Contest or the award of any of the prizes specified below.
- ENTRY PERIOD: The entry period for the Contest will commence on July 15, 2020 at 12:00:01 A.M. Central Standard Time ("CST") and end at 11:59:59 P.M. CST on August 9, 2020, 2020 (the "Entry Period"). Sponsor's computer is the official clock for the Contest.
- QUALIFICATION PERIOD: Qualifications for the Contest will commence on August 3, 2020 at 12:00:01 A.M. Central Standard Time ("CST") and end at 11:59:59 P.M. CST on August 9, 2020, (the "Qualification Period"). During the Qualification Period races will be registered on the online typing website, TyprX.com and be used for qualification determinations.
WHO CAN ENTER: An individual is eligible to participate in the Contest if he or she
meets the following requirements at the time of entry:
- The individual must be at least 18 years of age, provided, however, that individuals between the ages of 13 and 17 may participate so long as their parent or legal guardian submits the Participant’s registration on his or her behalf.
- The individual is not an employee of Sponsor.
- The individual is not involved in any part of the administration and/or execution of the Contest, including but not limited to as an advertising and promotional agency, web master/web supplier or supplier of Contest prizes; and
- The individual is not an immediate family member (parent, sibling, spouse or child) or household member of Sponsor or of any person involved in any part of the administration and execution of the Contest.
- The Contest is void in all countries, territories, and military installations including Puerto Rico and where prohibited or restricted by law and where subject to licensing or registration by any national, state, local or other political division or subdivision.
- By registering to participate in the Contest, Participants may receive e-mails and marketing materials from Sponsor about special promotions and product offers, but no purchase of any product or payment of any fee from or to Sponsor, or otherwise, is necessary to be eligible to participate in the Contest or to use the TyprX.com website. A Participant may choose to decline to receive notifications of such promotions and offers by following the opt-out instructions in any notification received from Sponsor.
- HOW TO ENTER AND COMPETE: During the Entry Period, an individual eligible to participate in the Contest can participate by (i) registering to compete in the Contest at the Contest website, www.ultimatetypingchampionship.com (the "Website"), and (ii) completing the typing test during the qualification period through the TyprX.com website, a link to which application is provided at the Website. Such link shall contain a description of any hardware or software necessary for the use of the website and general description of or links to where to obtain necessary software.
- To register at the Website, an individual must click on the "How to Compete" button found at the Website and fill out the required registration information as directed. The individual must also accept these rules as directed to do so. The only way to register for the Contest is through the Website.
- Once a Participant registers to participate in the Contest, he or she must take the online typing test at least fifty (50) times, and can take the online typing test as many times as he or she would like during the Qualification Period, and the Participant's logged WPM average speed from their fastest 30 typing test results at the expiration of the Qualification Period will be considered that Participant's entry.
- For the online competition during the Qualification Period, Participants can use any keyboard they please and are not required to use any keyboard manufactured or sold by Sponsor.
THE CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFICATIONS: The twenty-five (25) individuals with the fastest logged
WPM average speed at the expiration of the Qualification Period will proceed to additional races as instructed by
Sponsor to determine qualifications of future rounds. The twenty-five (25) eligible Participants will be
notified by email on or before August 10, 2020. Sponsor reserves the right to adjust the number of eligible
Participants at any given time as needed. If they have been selected as a quarterfinalist in the Contest.
Once notified, each such Participant will have forty-eight (48) hours from the delivery by Sponsor of such
email notification to provide to Sponsor an email or facsimile response that he or she agrees to participate
in the Quarterfinal and complete, execute and return all waivers and photo release forms requested by Sponsor.
If a Participant fails to respond within said forty-eight (48) hour period (including weekends), or fails to
make the above-described agreements, the next fastest typist Participant as of the end of the Entry Period will
be selected to participate in the Quarterfinal in his or her place until ten (10) quarterfinalists have accepted
and confirmed participation in the Quarterfinals.
The Participants who have gained entry Championship Qualifications during the Entry Period will then compete in the Ultimate Typing Championship Competition ("Competition"), which shall consist of a live broadcast of an online competition utilizing the TyprX.com website to be held on August 22, 2020 at 12:00 P.M. CST to determine which Participants will be eligible for competing in future rounds of competition.
The following rules apply to the live stream Competition (defined below):
- During the live stream Competition ("Competition"), Participants must use a Das Keyboard that will be provided by the Sponsor.
- The Competition shall take place during the live stream and shall consist of online typing timed races, in which each of the Participants is racing against others at the same time. Participants will be typing the same paragraphs of text as the other Participants they are competing against. The TyprX.com website will control the start and the timing of the races and chance plays no part in the scoring of the Competition.
- Sponsor intends to conduct a phone conference with the ten (10) quarterfinalists and four (4) Semifinal Participants prior to the round to address any questions. Exact date and time for this conference call is to be decided.
- Participants will compete against each other in groups of five (5) and the top two (2) WPM scores in each qualification group will move onto the quarterfinals. The ten (10) Participants with the most cumulative points at the end of races will be selected as the quarterfinalists and will be eligible to compete in the quarterfinal round ("Quarterfinal") of the Contest.
- Participants will receive points based on their WPM score in each Quarterfinal race. The races are all weighted equally. The four (4) Participants with the most cumulative points at the end of the online Quarterfinal typing races will be selected as the semifinalists and will be eligible to compete in the semifinal round ("Semifinal") of the Contest.
- Semifinal Participants will compete in additional races which are all weighted equally. The two (2) Participants with the most cumulative points at the end of the online Semifinal typing races will be selected as the finalists to compete in the CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND of the Contest.
- THE CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND: The championship round of the Contest (the "Championship") shall take place towards the end of the live stream on August 22, 2020. The two (2) finalists will compete against each in a series of races using the TyprX.com website. The two (2) finalists will be typing the same paragraphs of texts, the TyprX.com website will control the start and the timing of the race and chance plays no part in the scoring of this round.
The following rules apply to the Championship:
- If for any reason a finalist has to cancel his or her participation in the Championship, the next fastest typist as determined in the Semifinal will be invited to participate in his or her place.
- In the event that a finalist who has not cancelled his or her participation in the Championship fails to compete in the Championship for any reason, the other finalist will automatically be declared the Contest winner and receive the grand prize specified below, and the finalist that fails to compete shall be declared the runner-up but shall not receive the $500 runner-up prize specified below.
AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY, LIABILITY RELEASE AND WAIVER OF PUBLICITY RIGHTS:
At the time of notification to any Participant who has reached the Quarterfinal round, each such Participant (or their parent/legal guardian if such Participant is a minor between 13 and 17 years of age) will be required to complete, execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and, where lawful and requested by Sponsor, a Publicity Release by August 12, 2020. Sponsor shall pay all costs of postage to Sponsor. Any such documents may be combined in one and shall be on forms provided by Sponsor. So that Sponsor may comply with certain prize reporting requirements under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, each finalist must provide his or her social security number to Sponsor within the Affidavit of Eligibility. Failure to sign and deliver to Sponsor at the address provided above these document(s) by August 12, 2020 shall be considered a cancellation of the finalist's participation in the Contest. Except where a finalist is a resident of Tennessee, or wherever else prohibited by law, each finalist, by accepting the Das Keyboard and any other prizes, grants to Sponsor (and agrees to confirm that grant in writing) and those acting pursuant to the authority of Sponsor, the right to use and publish his or her name, portrait, picture, voice, video tape, biographical information and likeness, and statements regarding the Contest and any of Sponsor's products (provided the statements are true) at any time or times, for advertising, trade and promotional purposes without additional consideration, worldwide and on the Internet, without notification, review or approval. In furtherance of the foregoing, each Participant grants to Sponsor an irrevocable, absolute worldwide right and permission to photographic/video portraits, pictures, or images of Participant and any likeness of such Participant, in whole or in part, or composite or distorted in character or form, without restriction as to changes or alterations, in conjunction with Participant’s own name or a fictitious name. The photographs/videos may be used for any purpose, including illustration, publicity, promotion, art, advertising, trade, or any other purpose whatsoever. This authorization is perpetual in nature and will not expire. This release shall be binding upon Participant and his or her heirs, legal representative, and assigns.
- TIES: Any ties between Participants as of the end of the Entry Period, during the Quarterfinal and during the Championship Round will be broken by conducting additional typing tests and races as needed and determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion until a clear winner of the tie can been determined by Sponsor utilizing the TyprX.com website. The additional tests and races will not be significantly more difficult than earlier tests and races.
- PRIZES: The top twenty-five (25) constantans to compete in the competition will receive a Das Keyboard 4 Professional that they will be required to use during the live stream competition. The top ten (10) Quarterfinal contestants will receive a set of GMK Keycaps and a Limited Edition Das Keyboard Keycap (in addition to the Das Keyboard 4 Professional to use during the live stream). The top four (4) semifinalists will receive a keyboard provided by GMK and a Das Keyboard Special Anniversary Pen (in addition to the Das Keyboard 4 Professional to be used during the competition, a set of GMK Keycaps, and a Limited Edition Das Keyboard Keycap). The runner-up in the Championship Round will receive a cash prize of $500 (in addition to the Das Keyboard 4 Professional to use during the competition, a set of GMK Keycaps, a Limited Edition Das Keyboard Keycap, a keyboard provided by GMK, and a Das Keyboard Special Anniversary Pen). The winner of the finals will receive a cash prize of $5,000 (in addition to the Das Keyboard 4 Professional to be used during the competition, a set of GMK Keycaps, a Limited Edition Das Keyboard Keycap, a keyboard provided by GMK, and a Das Keyboard Special Anniversary Pen). No substitution or transfer of any prize component is permitted except at the sole discretion of Sponsor. Sponsor reserves all rights to substitute for any prize component a prize of equal or greater value in the event the prize component is unavailable for any reason. Prizes will be distributed in September 2020. Winner and runner-up are responsible for payment of all taxes on the respective prizes awarded to each. Sponsor has not made, is not responsible for, and hereby expressly disclaims to the full extent permitted by applicable law, any representation or warranty, express or implied, relative to the prizes, save and except any standard warranty given with respect to the Das Keyboard.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By participating in the Contest, each Participant (or the party agreeing to these Official Rules on behalf of a Participant under the age of 18) agrees, on his/her own behalf and on behalf of any person who might make a claim through them, that Sponsor, its affiliates and subsidiaries, its advertising and promotions agencies, Internet access providers and all of their agents, directors, officers, representatives, owners and employees shall have no liability whatsoever for any personal injuries, death or loss or damage to property of any kind ("Losses") resulting, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participation in the Contest, from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize that may be awarded, or from (i) unauthorized human intervention in or tampering with the Contest, (ii) technical errors, malfunctions or connection or accessibility problems related to computers, computer equipment, software, servers, providers or telephone, cable, network or power lines, the Internet or any combination thereof, (iii) printing or typographical errors in these rules or in any other Contest materials, (iv) delays in mail, (v) stolen, lost, late, misdirected, altered, damaged, incomplete or illegible Contest entries or communications from Participants or other data, (vi) human errors in the administration of the Contest or processing of entries, (vii) the incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry or other information, or the failure to capture any such information and (vii) any actions or omissions of any independent suppliers or vendors with respect to the Contest or the prizes.. IN NO EVENT WILL SPONSOR OR ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES AND RELATED COMPANIES, THEIR ADVERTISING OR PROMOTION AGENCIES OF INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDERS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS, BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF INTERNET SITE www.ultimatetypingchampionship.com OR THE DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING OF MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SAID SITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THE WEBSITE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OR LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY. PARTICIPANTS SHOULD CHECK THEIR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
Interested in sponsoring the Ultimate Typing Championship?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org